Friday 7 April 2017

Generic sci-fi, industrial, multi-layered, run-down, semi-Gothic scenery

I've been working on the first piece of terrain for my Imperial hive city, Kruenta Karoliina Arx Rotunda. As the initial model it's also the test piece, where I get to try out some of the various techniques I'm hoping to employ across the whole project. You can see an old White Dwarf article detailing some of the main ones here.

On the up-side, all the experimentation makes it quite exciting to build, but on the down-side it takes an already long construction phase and draws it out even further.

So although I first started working on this several months back, I'm only just now getting to a stage where it's beginning to take shape.

Here are some work-in-progress pictures.

Start with a plain base
Add four tins of chopped tomatoes
Plus a second layer of your choosing
Put it all together and struggle to maintain the slightly silly allusion to pizza
Check the other side is done properly

There's a lot of detailing left to do, especially on those tins, and I think I may add a little extra height in the form of a partial third layer at the top, but generally I'd say I'm fairly happy with how it's coming together.

So with that in mind, let's see how long it takes me to get a point where I'm willing to get the paints out and call the whole thing done.


No comments:

Post a Comment