Monday 11 July 2022

Va va kaboom. The Ork buggy bandwagon, part three

The noise is deafening. Engines revving way past their limits. Ignited fuel spitting sparks from armoured exhausts. Vehicles straining and shaking like caged animals. Twin-linked big shootas firing test volleys at anything not quick enough to take cover. Throaty guffaws and maniacal chittering every time a hapless critter is vaporised by a stream of high caliber slugs. Mud thrown up in great geysers, mixing with thick fumes from dirty oil, tinged with the smell of cordite and sweat. A heavy musk, hanging in the air like a starting flag, ready to wave.


My Ork armoured brigade has always been a work in progress. I started it well over ten years ago, and still enjoy reacquainting myself with it whenever I feel a bit of inspiration. During the last few weeks, perhaps as a result of thinking about vehicles for Necromunda Ash Wastes, I've revisited some of the greenskin army's unfinished projects and tried to get them to a more presentable level. The first of which, that I'm sharing today, are these three light vehicles, which will be reinforcing my little unit of buggies, trikes, trakks and skorchas.




I've liberally covered them all in my usual combination of dirt, dust and weathering, not just because I think it's appropriately Orky, but also because I'm not the greatest or most patient painter, so adding all that damage is a great way to give models a quick, and often quite effective, extra layer of detail.




The trike was created years ago, and has been hanging around, waiting for its final layers of paint, for most of that time, but the two scratch-built, armoured buggies are relatively new, as I only really completed their construction in the last couple of months. You can see what they looked like, towards the end of that phase, below.



These three vehicles have been mentioned on this blog before, when I last talked about Ork buggies, a few years back. I've just taken a look at that article and seen exactly how much (or more accurately, how little) I've managed to achieve in all that time. And it's not even over yet. I've actually still got plans to add one or two final buggies to the squad, to round the whole thing out. 

But I'll put those ideas aside, as they're a task for another day. For now here's all the mucky glory of the buggy gang as it currently stands.



No comments:

Post a Comment